The original version of this recipe calls for using dill pickle juice. I found the pickle flavor to be distracting, and ultimately I was disappointed in that bread. Using Guinness is a big improvement.
- 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) bread flour
- 1 1/3 cups (4 7/8 ounces) dark rye flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 bottle (11.2 ounces) Guinness draught
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon dark brown mustard seeds (optional)
- 3/4 cup instant potato flakes
Step 2. Lightly grease a large bowl. Let the dough rise until it has about doubled in size; 90 minutes will be plenty of time.
Step 5. Bake the bread for 40 minutes, until the bread’s internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F. Remove the loaf from its pan and cool on a wire rack.