The day after indulging in as much beer, wings, chili and hot dogs as my stomach can handle, I’m looking for something extra nutritious for dinner that still has some protein. This salad is light and fresh, and the roasted chickpeas provide just the right creamy balance.
There are some people who are avid chickpea (or garbanzo bean) haters. They don’t like the flavor or texture, especially when the chickpeas are served plain. I think this cooking method will make even the strongest doubter a believer.
While the chickpeas are roasting and cooling, pull together the rest of the salad. Then serve and feel righteous.
- 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, for seasoning
- 1/2 small head green cabbage
- 4-5 generous handfuls baby spinach
- 1 orange
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or pre-made vinaigrette dressing
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Dump the rinsed chickpeas onto a paper towel and dry thoroughly. Give the chickpeas a good rubbing to remove the skins from the beans (don’t sweat it if they don’t all come off).
You’ve made up for the previous day’s eating in admirable fashion.